Harold's Angels

Pink is now our favorite color!

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

An email I sent to friends and family today....

Dear Friends and Family,

"I can call hope my "pilot light" because I now know that, without it, we truly cease to exist."

Vicki Girard, Breast Cancer Survivor and Writer

Hope is just a four letter word, but it holds so much meaning to me. Six years ago I became involved with Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure through Ford's national sponsorship. As the years went by it was easy to get lost in the details, but I would always be amazed on race day by the support this race received. When I took a minute to stop and look around, it was apparent that hope was on everyone's face.

Like almost all of us, this disease has affected my family and friends. I watched my Great Aunt Betty Lou lose her battle with breast cancer a couple of years ago and have had several friends and co-workers have their own battles or scares also. Through these people, I have come to realize that this disease knows no boundaries....age, color, gender, or station in life.

As many of you already know I am a member of Charlotte's race committee and co-team captain of Harold's Angels. I was inspired to do this by a very special man. In May 2006, Mike's Uncle Harold was diagnosed with breast cancer. Yes...you read that right, Mike's uncle. I have watched him fight this disease with more determination and courage than I could ever hope to have. He has taught me that a good attitude is half the battle, and to face adversity with a sense of humor and a smile on your face. I don't think he can ever really know how much I and others look up to him. He was a teacher and coach for 30+ years and has inspired many throughout the years. I'm just glad I can say I'm one of them.

My hope this year is to have as many participants and/or donors for this year's race as possible. That is where all of you come in. Whether you can race, walk, or sleep for the cure....or can make a donation, please take a moment to consider supporting a great cause and a wonderful person.

One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. One in ever 1000 breast cancer cases will be a male. Your support can help fund research and education programs that will greatly reduce these numbers and hopefully one day, eradicate this disease.

As always, thank you in advance for your support.

Always hoping,
Jessica Messer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

View My Stats